10 Essential Over-The-Counter Meds To Always Have On Hand
Before I begin, read our disclaimer. This website contains general information about medical conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.
For less than $50.00, you can stock up on a multitude of over-the-counter (OTC) medications that can serve you well in you and your family’s time of need. We’ve isolated the ten most useful medications to keep handy in your medicine cabinet.
Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
– Among the OTC anti-inflammatory meds, ibuprofen is likely the most versatile. Primarily used for pain and inflammation, it may also serve to relieve headaches, earaches, sore throats, sinus pain, stiff neck, muscle strains, menstrual cramps, arthritis, and back pain. It is also useful to reduce fever and is generally safe for use in children.
– Acetaminophen is the only OTC pain relief medication that is not an anti-inflammatory. Acetaminophen is less likely to irritate the stomach in the way that ibuprofen, aspirin, and naproxen can. It is useful to treat the same issues as ibuprofen, though effectiveness varies from person to person.
– A cheap antihistamine, diphenhydramine is mainly used to promote drainage due to respiratory infections and nasal allergies in adults and kids. It is also used to relieve hives and itching, including itchy rashes like poison ivy.
– Loperamide is the most effective OTC med for diarrhea. It is available in both tablet and liquid form for children and can also be an effective treatment for intestinal cramps.
– Pseudoephedrine is a great treatment for congestion of both the upper and lower respiratory tract from common causes including infection, allergy, chemical irritation, and mild asthma or bronchitis.
Meclizine (Dramamine, Bonine)
– Available both OTC and by prescription, this antiemetic treats nausea, vomiting, motion sickness, and vertigo-like dizziness. In some people meclizine causes drowsiness and is therefore also used as a sleep aid. It is also similar in a lot of ways to anxiety medications and may help with those symptoms as well.
– There are several OTC medications available for treatment of heartburn, ulcers, acid reflux and other similar conditions, but ranitidine is among the most popular, cheapest, and best-tolerated. It can also be used to treat hives.
– Safe for both adults and children, the 1% version of hydrocortisone cream is safe and effective to treat inflammation from itchy rashes like eczema, poison ivy, diaper rash, and minor genital irritations.
– This ointment helps to prevent skin infections when people are at risk, such as after an abrasion, laceration, insect bite, or sting. It also may be used to soothe superficial skin infections like a mildly infected wound or impetigo.
Clotrimazole (Lotrimin, Gyne-Lotrimin)
– An effective anti-fungal, clotrimazole may be used to treat both female yeast infections and any other yeast or fungal infection that Lotrimin would treat, like athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm, diaper rashes, and skin fold irritations.
Thanks for reading and be sure to share this info with your friends using the social share buttons below. Talking about social stuff, consider liking our Facebook page to keep up to date with our articles. Check out our other articles for more mental scoops!