Decorating your home can be an exciting yet daunting task, but by using some simple decorating tricks, you can create a space that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. These tricks include using mirrors to create the illusion of more space, hanging curtains higher to create the illusion of taller ceilings, layering lighting for a cozy and inviting atmosphere, incorporating plants to add a natural touch, using rugs to add texture and define spaces, mixing and matching patterns for a unique and eclectic look, using decorative pillows and throws to add color and comfort, using a neutral palette for a calming and timeless feel, hanging artwork at eye level to create balance, and creating a gallery wall to showcase your personal style and interests. With these tips in mind, you can transform your home into a comfortable and stylish space that reflects your personality and taste.
Mirrors are a versatile and effective tool in home decorating that can add style, light, and a sense of spaciousness to any room. Here are some additional tips for using mirrors in your home:
- Use Mirrors to Reflect Light: Mirrors reflect light and can make a room brighter and more welcoming. A strategically placed mirror can bounce natural light around a room, making it feel larger and more open. Consider placing a large mirror opposite a window or next to a lamp to amplify the amount of light in a room.
- Create a Focal Point: A statement mirror can also serve as a focal point in a room. Choose a mirror with an interesting shape, texture, or frame to add visual interest to a wall. A round or oval mirror can soften the angles of a room, while a rectangular or square mirror can create a more formal look.
- Create an Illusion of Space: Mirrors can make a small room feel larger and more spacious. A large mirror placed on a wall can create the illusion of an extra window, or even make a room appear like it extends beyond its actual boundaries. This effect is especially effective in a hallway or a cramped space.
- Play with Scale: Mirrors come in all shapes and sizes, so experiment with different sizes to create different effects. A large mirror can make a bold statement in a living room, while a smaller one can add a touch of elegance to a bathroom. Try placing a series of small mirrors together to create a unique and eye-catching display.
- Be Mindful of Placement: The placement of mirrors can have a significant impact on the overall look and feel of a room. Avoid placing a mirror opposite a cluttered or unappealing area, as it will only amplify the negative aspects of the space. Instead, use a mirror to highlight a beautiful view or a favorite piece of artwork.
Hang Curtains Higher
Hanging curtains higher is a simple yet effective decorating trick that can instantly transform the look and feel of a room. Here are some additional tips and benefits of hanging curtains higher:
- Create the Illusion of Height: By hanging curtains higher, you can create the illusion of a higher ceiling. This can make a room feel more spacious and open, especially in smaller spaces. If you have a low ceiling, opt for curtains that are long enough to reach the floor, and hang them as close to the ceiling as possible.
- Enhance Natural Light: Hanging curtains higher can also enhance natural light in a room. By positioning the curtains higher and wider than the window frame, you allow more natural light to enter the room, making it brighter and more inviting.
- Add Drama and Elegance: Hanging curtains higher can add a touch of drama and elegance to a room. A dramatic drape of the fabric can create a luxurious and sophisticated feel, while an elegant sheer fabric can add a soft and romantic touch.
- Make a Bold Statement: By choosing bold colors or patterns, you can make a statement with your curtains. Hanging them higher will showcase the design and make a bold impact in the room.
- Conceal Flaws: If you have unsightly window frames or hardware, hanging curtains higher can help conceal them. This is especially helpful in older homes with outdated windows or hardware.
When hanging curtains higher, it’s important to consider the length of the curtains as well. Ideally, curtains should just graze the floor or pool slightly on the ground for a more dramatic effect. Keep in mind that curtains that are too short or too long can look awkward and unbalanced.
Layering lighting is a decorating technique that involves using multiple light sources in a room to create different moods and effects. Here are some additional tips and benefits of layering lighting:
- Create Ambiance: Layering lighting allows you to create different levels of ambiance in a room. For example, a dimmer switch can provide a soft and romantic feel, while a brighter overhead light can provide functional lighting for tasks.
- Highlight Key Areas: By using different types of lighting, you can highlight key areas in a room, such as artwork, a bookshelf, or a dining table. This not only adds interest and depth to the room, but also allows you to showcase your favorite pieces.
- Improve Functionality: Layering lighting can improve the functionality of a room by providing task lighting for specific activities, such as reading, cooking, or working. By using task lighting, you can reduce eye strain and improve your productivity.
- Add Depth and Dimension: Using multiple light sources in a room can add depth and dimension to the space, making it feel more dynamic and interesting. This is especially important in smaller rooms, where the right lighting can make the space feel larger and more open.
- Enhance Decor: Layering lighting can enhance your decor by adding texture and visual interest to the room. For example, a pendant light can add a sculptural element to the room, while a table lamp can provide a pop of color or pattern.
When layering lighting, it’s important to consider the different types of lighting available, including ambient, task, and accent lighting. Ambient lighting provides overall illumination for the room, task lighting provides focused lighting for specific tasks, and accent lighting highlights specific features in the room.
Using plants is a simple yet effective decorating trick that can instantly add life and vibrancy to any room. Here are some additional tips and benefits of using plants:
- Create a Natural Look: Plants bring a natural look to a room, making it feel more inviting and cozy. They can soften hard lines and create a calming atmosphere. A few plants strategically placed can make a big impact on the overall look and feel of a room.
- Add Color and Texture: Plants come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes, making them a great way to add color and texture to a space. Whether you prefer big leafy plants or delicate flowers, there are options to suit any taste and decor style.
- Improve Air Quality: Plants can improve the air quality in a room by absorbing toxins and producing oxygen. This can create a healthier environment for you and your family.
- Reduce Noise: Plants can help absorb noise in a room, making it a more peaceful and quiet space. This is especially helpful in open-concept spaces where noise can travel easily.
- Low-Maintenance: There are many low-maintenance plants that are easy to care for, making them a great option for busy homeowners. Succulents, for example, require minimal watering and can thrive in a variety of light conditions.
When using plants in your decor, it’s important to consider the size of the plant and the amount of natural light available in the room. Some plants require more light than others, so it’s important to choose the right plant for the space. Additionally, larger plants can create a statement piece in a room, while smaller plants can be used to fill in empty spaces.
Using rugs is an excellent decorating trick that can help define a space, add warmth, and create visual interest in any room. Here are some additional tips and benefits of using rugs:
- Define a Space: Rugs can be used to define a space, such as a living room or dining area, within a larger room. By placing a rug underneath furniture, you can create a visual boundary and make the space feel more cohesive.
- Add Warmth: Rugs can add warmth and coziness to a room, especially in colder months. A plush, shaggy rug can create a luxurious feel, while a natural fiber rug can add texture and warmth.
- Create Visual Interest: Rugs can add visual interest to a room by adding color, pattern, and texture. A bold, patterned rug can become a focal point of a room, while a neutral-colored rug can create a calming atmosphere.
- Protect Flooring: Rugs can protect flooring from wear and tear, especially in high-traffic areas. By placing a rug in an entryway or hallway, you can prevent scratches and scuffs on hardwood floors.
- Absorb Sound: Rugs can absorb sound in a room, making it feel quieter and more peaceful. This is especially important in large rooms with high ceilings or hard flooring, which can create echoes and noise.
When using rugs in your decor, it’s important to consider the size and placement of the rug. A rug should be large enough to fit all furniture pieces in a space, with at least 6-12 inches of space around the edges. Additionally, the placement of the rug should be based on the function of the space – for example, a dining room rug should be placed under the dining table and chairs.
Mix and Match Patterns
Mixing and matching patterns is a fun decorating trick that can add personality and interest to any room. Here are some additional tips and benefits of using mixed patterns in your decor:
- Add Interest: Mixing and matching patterns can add visual interest to a room, making it feel more lively and dynamic. Using different patterns, colors, and textures can create a layered and eclectic look.
- Create Cohesion: While mixing patterns may seem chaotic, it can actually create a cohesive look when done correctly. Using a common color scheme or repeating a certain pattern can tie different patterns together and create a cohesive look.
- Balance and Scale: When mixing patterns, it’s important to consider the balance and scale of the patterns. Using a mix of large and small patterns can create a balanced and harmonious look.
- Create Focal Points: Using a bold pattern as a focal point can draw attention to a specific area in a room. This can create a statement piece and add interest to an otherwise plain room.
- Express Your Personality: Mixing patterns is a great way to express your personality and add a unique touch to your decor. It allows you to experiment with different colors, textures, and patterns to create a look that is uniquely you.
When using mixed patterns in your decor, it’s important to choose patterns that complement each other. A good rule of thumb is to choose patterns that have a common color or design element. Additionally, it’s important to balance bold patterns with more subtle patterns to create a cohesive look.
Use Decorative Pillows and Throws
Using decorative pillows and throws is a great decorating trick that can add texture, color, and comfort to any room. Here are some additional tips and benefits of using decorative pillows and throws:
- Add Color: Decorative pillows and throws are an easy and affordable way to add a pop of color to your decor. By choosing pillows and throws in bold colors or patterns, you can create a statement piece in an otherwise neutral room.
- Add Texture: Decorative pillows and throws can add texture to a room, creating a layered and cozy feel. By choosing pillows and throws made from different materials, such as velvet, fur, or woven fabric, you can add texture and depth to your decor.
- Change the Look: Decorative pillows and throws are an easy way to change the look of a room without having to invest in new furniture or decor items. By switching out your pillows and throws with the seasons or for special occasions, you can refresh the look of your room and keep your decor feeling new and exciting.
- Create Comfort: Decorative pillows and throws can add comfort to a room, making it feel cozy and inviting. By adding soft pillows and warm throws to your seating area, you can create a comfortable space for relaxing and entertaining.
- Add Style: Decorative pillows and throws can add style and personality to a room, reflecting your taste and design aesthetic. By choosing pillows and throws that match your decor style, you can add a personalized touch to your space.
When using decorative pillows and throws in your decor, it’s important to consider the size and placement of the pillows. Large pillows can be used as floor cushions or as a backrest for seating, while smaller pillows can be used to accent chairs or sofas. Additionally, it’s important to choose pillows and throws that are comfortable and durable, as they will be used and enjoyed on a daily basis.
Use A Neutral Color Palette
Using a neutral palette is a decorating trick that involves using a limited color scheme of neutral tones such as beige, white, gray, or black. Here are some additional tips and benefits of using a neutral palette in your decor:
- Create a Timeless Look: A neutral palette is a timeless decorating choice that can create a classic and sophisticated look. By using neutral tones, you can create a clean and simple aesthetic that will never go out of style.
- Add Depth: While neutral tones may seem basic, they can actually add depth and dimension to a room. By using different shades of neutrals, you can create a layered and textured look that is both interesting and calming.
- Make it Easy to Decorate: Using a neutral palette can make it easier to decorate your space, as neutral tones tend to be versatile and easy to mix and match. With a neutral base, you can easily add pops of color or pattern through accessories or artwork without overwhelming the space.
- Create a Serene Atmosphere: Neutral tones can create a serene and calming atmosphere in a room, making it a great choice for bedrooms or living spaces. By using soft and muted tones, you can create a space that feels tranquil and relaxing.
- Highlight Other Elements: A neutral palette can help highlight other design elements in a room, such as architectural details or statement pieces of furniture. By using a neutral backdrop, you can create a space that allows other elements to shine.
When using a neutral palette in your decor, it’s important to consider using different textures and materials to add interest and depth to the space. For example, you can use natural materials such as wood or stone, or incorporate different fabrics like linen, velvet, or wool. Additionally, you can use metallic accents like gold or silver to add a touch of glamour to a neutral space.
Hang Artwork at Eye Level
Hanging artwork at eye level is a decorating trick that involves placing artwork on walls at a height that is comfortable and visually pleasing to the viewer. Here are some additional tips and benefits of hanging artwork at eye level:
- Create a Focal Point: By hanging artwork at eye level, you can create a focal point in the room that draws the eye and adds visual interest. Whether it’s a large statement piece or a gallery wall, hanging artwork at eye level can add depth and dimension to a room.
- Establish Balance: Hanging artwork at eye level can help establish balance in a room, creating a sense of harmony and cohesion. By placing artwork at a height that is comfortable for the viewer, you can create a visual balance that complements the other elements in the room.
- Showcase the Artwork: By hanging artwork at eye level, you can showcase the artwork in a way that is both comfortable and visually pleasing. Placing artwork too high or too low can make it difficult to appreciate the details and nuances of the piece.
- Add Personality: Artwork can add personality and style to a room, reflecting the taste and interests of the homeowner. By hanging artwork at eye level, you can create a space that feels personal and unique.
- Elevate the Room: Hanging artwork at eye level can elevate the overall design of a room, creating a sophisticated and polished look. By using frames or mats that complement the other elements in the room, you can create a cohesive and well-designed space.
When hanging artwork at eye level, it’s important to consider the height of the viewer and the size and scale of the artwork. As a general rule, artwork should be hung at eye level, which is typically around 57 inches from the floor. However, this can vary depending on the height of the viewer and the size of the artwork.
Create a Gallery Wall
A gallery wall is a decorating trick that involves creating a display of multiple artworks or photographs on a single wall. Here are some additional tips and benefits of creating a gallery wall:
- Add Visual Interest: Gallery walls can add visual interest and personality to a room, creating a focal point that draws the eye and adds depth and dimension to the space. A well-curated gallery wall can showcase your personal style and interests, making it a unique and personal statement in your home.
- Fill Empty Space: Gallery walls can help fill empty wall space in a room, making it feel more complete and polished. Whether it’s a small corner or a large blank wall, a gallery wall can add texture and color to an otherwise empty space.
- Show Off Your Collection: Gallery walls are a great way to show off your collection of art or photographs. Whether it’s a collection of family photos or a collection of vintage posters, a gallery wall can provide a platform to showcase your favorite pieces.
- Create Balance: Gallery walls can help create balance and symmetry in a room. By arranging the artwork in a cohesive and balanced way, you can create a sense of harmony and order that complements the other elements in the room.
- Mix and Match: Gallery walls allow you to mix and match different sizes, styles, and mediums of artwork, creating a dynamic and eclectic look. By combining different pieces of art or photographs, you can create a space that is both interesting and visually appealing.
When creating a gallery wall, it’s important to consider the placement and arrangement of the artwork. Here are some tips to help you create a well-curated gallery wall:
- Choose a Theme: Choose a theme or color palette that ties the artwork together, creating a cohesive and unified look.
- Mix and Match: Mix and match different sizes, styles, and mediums of artwork to create a dynamic and eclectic look.
- Experiment with Layouts: Experiment with different layouts and arrangements to find the one that works best for your space.
- Use Templates: Use templates or cutouts to help you visualize the layout of the gallery wall before you hang the artwork.
- Consider Lighting: Consider lighting when arranging the artwork, as it can help highlight certain pieces and create a dramatic effect.
More interesting articles you may be interested in reading:
Thanks for reading and be sure to share this info with your friends using the social share buttons below.