How to Make Gazing Balls For Your Garden
Adding a gazing ball to your garden is an easy way to add a touch of charm and elegance to your outdoor space. A gazing ball, also known as a garden sphere or mirror ball, is a decorative sphere made of glass, ceramic, or stainless steel that reflects light and surroundings.
History of Gazing Balls
The use of gazing balls dates back to the 13th century when they were used in gardens in Venice, Italy. Back then, they were made of blown glass and were believed to ward off evil spirits.
Later on, they became popular in England during the Victorian era when they were used to reflect the beauty of the garden.
Today, gazing balls come in a variety of materials, shapes, and sizes, making them an excellent addition to any garden style.
They can be placed on a pedestal or simply nestled among plants, and their reflective nature adds depth and interest to the surrounding environment.
Placement of Gazing Balls
Gazing balls can be placed on a pedestal, in a birdbath, or nestled among plants. When selecting a spot, make sure it’s visible from multiple angles and catches the light. A gazing ball placed in a shady spot won’t reflect the surrounding environment as well as a ball placed in a sunny spot.
1: How to make a gazing ball with reflective objects
Making your own gazing ball can be a fun and rewarding DIY project. Here’s how you can make your own DIY gazing ball:
- A bowling ball or a foam ball (depending on the size you want)
- A variety of glass gems, marbles, or other reflective objects
- Clear silicone adhesive
- A bucket
- A mixing tool (like a trowel)
- A soft cloth
- Choose the ball you want to use as the base of your gazing ball. A bowling ball works well for a larger gazing ball, while a foam ball is better suited for a smaller one.
- Clean the ball thoroughly, removing any dirt or debris.
- Apply a layer of clear silicone adhesive to the surface of the ball.
- Begin to add the glass gems, marbles, or other reflective objects to the surface of the ball. Make sure to press them firmly into the silicone adhesive, so they stick securely. You can arrange them in any pattern or design you like.
- Once the entire surface of the ball is covered in the reflective objects, let it dry for several hours or overnight.
- Mix the grout according to the instructions on the package in a bucket.
- Apply a layer of grout to the surface of the ball, covering all of the reflective objects. Use a trowel or other mixing tool to spread the grout evenly over the surface.
- Let the grout dry for several hours or overnight.
- Once the grout is dry, use a soft cloth to polish the surface of the gazing ball, removing any excess grout and bringing out the shine of the reflective objects.
And that’s it! With just a few materials and some patience, you can create a beautiful DIY gazing ball to add to your garden. Experiment with different sizes, colors, and patterns of reflective objects to create a unique and personalized gazing ball.
2: How to make a glazing ball from glass and paint
- A large plastic or foam ball
- Acrylic paint in your desired colors
- Clear varnish or sealer
- A plastic or foam cup
- A wooden skewer or toothpick
- Choose a large plastic or foam ball that you want to use as the base for your gazing ball.
- Apply a base coat of white acrylic paint to the entire surface of the ball using a paintbrush. This will help the colors stand out more vividly.
- Once the base coat is dry, apply your desired colors of acrylic paint to the surface of the ball using a paintbrush. You can create a pattern or design of your choice.
- Use a plastic or foam cup to prop up the ball while you work on it, so it doesn’t roll around.
- Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Use a wooden skewer or toothpick to add small details or designs to the painted surface of the ball.
- Once you’re satisfied with the design, apply a clear varnish or sealer to the entire surface of the ball to protect the paint and give it a glossy finish.
- Let the varnish dry completely before placing the gazing ball in your garden.
And that’s it! With just a few materials and a little bit of creativity, you can make a beautiful and unique gazing ball using paint. Experiment with different colors and designs to create a one-of-a-kind piece for your garden.
More interesting articles you may be interested in reading:
Thanks for reading and be sure to share this info with your friends using the socia
Thanks for reading and be sure to share this info with your friends using the social share buttons below.
Talking about social stuff, consider liking our Facebook page to keep up to date with our articles. Check out our other articles for more mental scoops!